Friday, June 17, 2011

2 Weeks Since Surgery

I really can't believe how quickly the two week mark has arrived! Of course, time flies when you sleep half the day. haha.

This week I had the pleasure of spending time with a number of visitors. I also got to go over and visit my grandparents. My grandpa's health has not been good, and going 10 days without seeing them was strange for me, and particularly hard on my mom, who has been helping my grandma out on a regular basis. Though visiting with people can be physically tiring, it does wonders for my spirits! I am so excited to spend more time with family and friends in the weeks to come.

Today marked a few milestones for me. First off, I managed to shave my legs. I am ridiculously proud of this. Trying to keep a completely straight back while bending over in a slippery tub to reach your ankle is not an easy trick. Later in the day, I got to take my freshly minted, hair-free legs for a walk along the Orting Trail! This was my first real "outing" since I've been home.

Mom drove me down to the trail, and we went as far as the field full of cows (for those of you who have been there) and back to the car. It took around 30 minutes, which is the longest I've walked so far! We capped off the trip with a visit to the Orting Bakery, where I got a chocolate donut. I hadn't had one in ages, and it was the most delicious thing. So good!

While I was in the hospital, Dr. Hanscom had asked me to gain about 5 pounds. He felt that it would help with the healing process. Alas, once all of the water weight from surgery escaped me, I weighed myself and found that I had actually lost about 5 pounds since surgery. So now I'm looking to gain around 10. As such, I feel that having donuts and ice cream in the same day is perfectly acceptable :)

We have been slowly backing me off of my pain meds. I was taking Oxycodone every 3 hours when I first came home, and we've eased back to every 4 and 1/2. So far, so good! I have a follow up appointment with Dr. Hanscom, at Swedish, this coming Tuesday (21st.) He will be checking my incision, asking questions about how I'm doing, helping us figure out the best timing and a way to switch to less aggressive pain meds, and who knows what else! It should be fun to go back and see everyone's reactions to how well I'm doing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment